Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Door Adornment - Version 1.0

Miss Magic's Memo: I wrote this post in June 2010. As time goes, on I'm not sure I am still a big fan of these wreaths. That's what happens to indecisive brides who try to get a jump on things in a long engagement!

For our wedding at Viking Heaven (aka, The Barn at Valhalla - oh wow I haven't even posted about that, how backasswards of me!), doors need to be adorned. OK, maybe not need. But this is a craft I could do wayyyyyyy in advance, and seemed do-able for even this sometimes craft impaired bride. So I ordered all that ribbon and got to cutting and tying following directions from The Long Thread.

These directions are copy and pasted from here:
Supplies:
  • 12″ foam wreath form
  • 24 yards 1 1/4″ black grosgrain ribbon (or less if using a wider ribbon)
  • Scissors
  • Measuring tape
Steps:
  1. Cut 45-50 16″ pieces of ribbon.
  2. Tie one strand of ribbon in a knot around the wreath. I used a “messy knot” — right over left, then right over left again, pulling in the opposite direction. It doesn’t really matter how you do it as long as you are consistent all the way around. Repeat with the knots, pushing them close together, until you fill the wreath.
  3. Cut one long piece of ribbon (48″) and tie one end to form a knot. Leave a long loop for hanging and tie another knot onto the wreath.
  4. Trim any frayed or long ends.
See?

Ignore the green foam wreath part sticking out. That shouldn't be there.

Helpful tips:

1. Cut a bunch of ribbon, then go ahead and use Fray Check to stop the fraying BEFORE you tie. It's way easier than going around afterward, trimming and fray checking.

2. Some of you may feel like when you tie the knot, there is not possibly enough ribbon to make a bow. It may SEEM like this, to some of you. Not me of course. It certainly did not take me multiple tries and mutiple glasses of wine and multiple episodes of the Gilmore Girls to get the first bow tied correctly. I also didn't cut a bunch of ribbon 4 inches too short either. No sir-ee. But some of you might struggle. So be careful when cutting ribbon to insure it is the right length, and, um, just keep trying to make the bow. Once you make one, you're golden!

3. As you may have noticed above, a bit of my wreath is showing. Oopsy! When tying the bows, you kinda have to have the ribbon overlap on the back part of the wreath, to have the knots close enough to cover the wreath in the front. Usually you can tie the knot and then just slip one ribbon over another in the back.

Cost per wreath:
ribbon: 24 yards x $0.28 = $6.72
wreath: I don't have the exact receipt, but I think it was about 5$ at Michael's, and I had a 40% off coupon, which would make it = $3 approximately

TOTAL COST per wreath = about 10$
and since I'm making 4 wreaths, that's $40 total!

Not so shabby, if I do say so myself! Have you embarked on a DIY project to adorn some doors, or something equally "only brides would do this"? And...what do you think of my wreath???

No comments:

Post a Comment