Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Don't Be a Gaycist

I've been in favor of allowing people who are gay or lesbian to marry for a long time. I understand that some folks feel differently, I guess...but I can't fathom why. I mean, I know people have their alleged "religious reasons" and crap like that. Yes, I just called "religious reasons" crap. Because I don't think God would be so judgey as these so-called religious folks are...so why should any of us be super judgey then? Aren't we supposed to be all about not casting stones? Who is so morally superior that they can pretend to know that God would do/say/think?

Anyway. I have friends and coworkers who are gay and lesbian, and some of them are in some of the most beautiful, loving, and inspiring relationships I have ever witnessed. EVER. Why should me and Mr. Polar Bear, who are sometimes snippy, prone to arguing, and most certainly not any better or more worthy than any other couple (gay or straight), be allowed to legally marry when others are not - just because they love the "wrong" person?

Ridiculous. Really freaking ridiculous.

I'm glad California is finally heading in the right direction again, and I hope other states follow soon. I know here in North Carolina, we tend to be a little bit behind, being all up in the Bible Belt and mostly conservative. But I'll do my part to make gay marriage legal here and in the United States.



Will you?

9 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing this video! I was so proud when Prop 8 was deemed unconstitutional and was moved by the comments made by the Federal Court- "Moral disapproval alone is an improper basis on which to deny rights to gay men and lesbians."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm from California and definitely excited about this. I was so shocked and disappointed when Prop 8 passed.. just because the majority of people voted for it doesn't make it right, just like when slavery was a law or the ban on interracial marriages!

    ReplyDelete
  3. finally CA pulled their heads out of their... i totally support it too, and my brother can now marry whoever he wants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. Thanks for posting your thoughts and the video. I might have had a tear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad Cali got their act together. I hope Utah stays out of it. Unfortunately I live in Texas (Austin), so we will probably be behind NC with getting it together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Gaycist"? That word made my day!!
    http://lifeinwhite.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helen, I can't take credit, stole it straight from the video I posted. Great word though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. my gay friends have more loving/stable relationships than my straight friends. getting married on 10.10.10. totally stumbled across your blog. LOVE the english shower stuffs. going to scam on your faux-to booth concept too! that's enough non-sequitors for the day! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I am so proud to be from Massachusetts where it is legal to marry whomever you choose.

    ReplyDelete